Valentine’s Day is the perfect time to show love toward the people who make a difference in your life. Or, opt for a nontraditional holiday by sharing your heart with your local community. Check out three ways to share the love this Valentine’s Day.
Create a memory jar for your significant other
Enjoy making a unique gift for your valentine that will take them on a journey through your favorite memories together. Below are directions for a memory jar, our favorite easy to-make gift.
What you’ll need
- 4×4″ square printed photos of you and your valentine
- Acid-free photo marker (our favorite is a Slick Writer marker)
- Large clear mason jar with lid
- Thin red-and-white striped cotton string
- White elastic craft string, red cardstock, scissors and hole punch
- Thick burlap ribbon, red acrylic paint pen, newspaper and super glue
How to make it
- Flip each photo over and write a related memory on the back of each. Allow the ink time to dry.
- Place all photos in the mason jar.
- Tie the red-and-white striped cotton string around top of jar, creating a large bow.
- Cut out a heart shape from the cardstock and punch a hole in the top center area. Run elastic craft string through the hole; tie string around top of jar.
- Place thick burlap ribbon on several sheets of newspaper. Paint a heart shape onto ribbon using red acrylic paint pen. Allow the paint time to dry. To decrease drying time, use a small fan. Once dry, wrap ribbon around center of jar and use a small amount of super glue to bind the ends of the ribbon.
Bake sweet treats for your friends and family
Bake some sweet treats for your friends and family to let them know you appreciate them. Wrap each dessert in cellophane, add a stylish fabric bow and your gifts are ready to be enjoyed. Below is our favorite easy-to-make, delicious Valentine’s Day treat.
XOXO Chocolate Chunk Cookies
- 1 package Pillsbury™ Ready to Bake!™ refrigerated chocolate chunk & chip cookies
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- 3 tablespoons valentine nonpareils for decoration
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Break apart 1 package of chocolate chunk & chip cookies. Place on ungreased cookie sheet, spacing cookies 2 inches apart.
- Place cookies in oven and bake 9 to 11 minutes or until done. Remove from cookie sheet and set on a wire rack or plate to cool for 5 minutes.
- Microwave the chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl, stirring every 30 seconds, until chips are melted and can be stirred easily.
- Using a spoon, drizzle the chocolate onto the cookies. Immediately sprinkle with valentine nonpareils.
Image and recipe from pillsbury.com
Give back to your community
Share the love by going out into your community and volunteering. It’s a great way to make a positive difference while supporting a cause that you’re passionate about. You can give back at your local food bank, animal shelter, youth center or homeless shelter. Valentine’s Day is the perfect opportunity to make others feel special.
Find a cause that you love here.