Cirro Energy is a Texas electricity company that’s invested in the community. That means being interested in bettering people’s lives, whether through money saving electric plans, volunteering in the community, support of outreach programs, or just helping people live healthier, happier lives. If you’re looking for a way to improve your winter menu and eat a healthier diet, this Texas electricity company has a suggestion: think seasonal.
Buying food that’s in season can be easier on your wallet, because it’s in higher supply. It can also be good for your health, because it’s more likely to be local and therefore fresher. Remember that it’s not just produce that’s seasonal; fish, herbs, and game also varies depending on the time of year. Looking at a seasonal food chart can be helpful in planning your strategy before you hit the grocery store or farmers’ market. In the meantime, here are some recipes to get you started.
- Soup is a great way to warm up in the winter. Why not try this Carrot Parsnip Soup to shake up your regular routine? Smoky Butternut Squash Soup is a good choice, too, bringing a twist to an old favorite with the addition of chipotle peppers.
- Summer is not the only time that salad is a good choice. This Jicama Citrus and Watercress Salad packs tons of flavors into every bite, while avoiding the richness that can be a hazard of this season’s heavier meals. Winter Greens Salad is full of nutrients and delicious, too, as is Beet and Blood Orange Salad with Mint. The variety of flavor combinations in the winter is amazing, and you can experiment to find your favorites.
- Stews make a hearty meal. Try this Bean and Chicken Sausage Stew, which also incorporates nutrient-dense kale. Alternatively, you might enjoy this Chickpea and Winter Vegetable Stew, which gets its staying power in part from the potatoes and couscous.
- Shake up a casserole by using more seasonal produce. Turnip Casserole with Porcini Crumb Topping is one good example of this type of dish; Butternut Squash Lasagna is another.
- Desserts can incorporate winter’s rich flavors, too. The clementine is a winter fruit that offers a lot of options for sweet treats. Eat them as they are, or incorporate them into a dessert like Clementine Pound Cake.
If you’re trying to plan a healthy menu, look for seasonal, local produce and meat. If you’re looking for a Texas electricity company to meet your needs, look no further than Cirro Energy. For more information on this Texas electricity company and its money saving plans and excellent customer service, visit the website. For more lifestyle and energy saving tips, please connect with Cirro on Facebook, Twitter, or the Cirro Energy blog.