At Cirro Energy, we care a great deal about electrical safety. That’s why we were pretty excited to learn that this month is Electrical Safety Month! Electricity is one of the greatest benefits of the modern age, but it can be one of the most dangerous if it’s not handled with care and respect. So, in honor of Electrical Safety Month, here are a few tips from Cirro Energy to help keep your family safe.
- Keep extension cords out from underfoot! Never run extension cords across doorways or under carpets and make sure all electric cords are tucked away, neat and tidy. Pets might chew on them and children could tug on them and cause people to trip or heavy appliances to fall.
- Don’t overload outlets. Not only could this damage the electrical system in your house, but it could even cause a fire. Never plug more than two appliances into an outlet at once or “piggyback” extra appliances on extension cords or wall outlets.
- Some appliances, like clocks, televisions and computer monitors, need room to breathe. All electric appliances generate heat when plugged in, so you should make sure they have several inches of clearance on all sides for good air circulation and cooling. Never drape clothes, toys or other items over warm appliances or lamps.
- Water and electricity are a dangerous combination. Make sure to keep all electrical appliances away from not only from water in sinks, bathtubs or pools, but also from areas prone to dripping, like underneath overhead vents.
- Never yank or tug an electrical cord. Pulling on the cord to unplug it from the wall can damage the appliance, the plug or the outlet.
- Keep an eye on your cords. Never use extension cords that are kinked, frayed or cracked and never staple or nail them down. Be sure that everyone in the family knows that extension cords are not ropes and should not be used to jump rope or secure anything. Where possible, keep cords out of the reach of any household pets.
- Handle lightbulbs with care. Did you know that if a bulb isn’t screwed in securely, it could create sparks? In addition, a broken CFL bulb is a cause for caution. If your CFL bulb breaks, open a window and keep everyone, including pets, out of the room for at least 15 minutes.
Electrical safety is important to Cirro Energy, because we care about helping families thrive. That’s why we offer electric plans to fit your family’s needs and work within your budget. For more information on Cirro Energy electric plans, visit the website. To connect with the online community, visit us on Facebook and Twitter.