Holiday season is upon us! You are probably going to spend some time traveling to visit family members before the year is over. Preparing your home for vacation can be a daunting task, but it’s even more important in the winter, when fluctuating temperatures and unpredictable weather can wreak havoc on your property. Here are some tips on ways you can prep your home before your holiday getaway, so you can truly leave your worries behind and enjoy your vacation.
- Unplug all electronics. Unplugging from real life is one of the benefits of going on holiday vacation, but unplugging unnecessary electrical devices before you leave adds an extra safety measure that you can’t pass up. Not only will you lower your electric bill for the month, but you also minimize the risk of a small fire while you’re gone,
- Take extra care of your pets. Whether your pets are joining in the family fun or having the house all to themselves, it’s important to plan ahead and arrange for proper care. You can call a trusted family member or friend to take in your furry friend for a few days, or choose a great boarding location for them. If they stay at home, be sure to have plenty of food and clean water available, and have someone come in once a day to check on them.
- Clean, clean, clean! Clean out refrigerators, trash cans, under sinks, and anywhere where humidity and odors may take over. Throw away food that is close to the expiration date and be sure to keep your fridge cool and clean.
- Make it look like someone’s always home. One effective crime deterrent when preparing homes for vacations is giving the impression that someone is home. Installing motion-sensitive outdoor lights, installing or updating your home security system, and having your mail forwarded are just some of the things you can do to keep burglars at bay.
- Arrange for someone to check on your house. Whether you enlist the help of a house sitter, or simply have a friend or neighbor stop by every day on the way to work each morning, having someone regularly check on your property is a great way to ensure that any unexpected problems are caught quickly.
At Cirro Energy, our focus this holiday season is to ensure that you have a memorable time with friends and family. That’s why we offer electric plans that meet your family’s needs, all within your budget. Learn more about our low-cost energy plans at the Cirro website. You can also connect with our online community on Facebook and Twitter.