The air is getting chilly, holiday decorations are coming out, and if you’re a homeowner, that means it’s time for fall maintenance. It can be a little daunting trying to think of all the ways you need to prepare your home for wintry weather, but we’re here to help. We’ve compiled a fall checklist to make keeping up with autumn maintenance a breeze.
- Think about your HVAC. Now is a good time to change filters and have your heating system serviced. It’s also time to test your smoke detectors and change its batteries. If you have a wood stove or fireplace, stock up on wood for the winter.
- Dodge the draft. Keep the heat in and the cold air out by insulating your windows, or by repairing worn weather stripping. In addition to windows and doors, check gaps around faucets, phone lines and electrical outlets, the seal around room air conditioners, and any cracks in the exterior of your home.
- Do some deep cleaning. Clean your humidifiers regularly throughout the fall season, as dirty water tanks can send unclean moisture into your home. When cleaning your deck, patio, stairs, hand rails, gutters, and downspouts, make any necessary repairs or reinforcements for stability and safety. Performing long-term outdoor maintenance in the fall means that you can spend less time worrying about iot during the winter months!
- Trim your branches. Trimming back brush and hedges not only improves the look of your landscaping, but also prevents safety hazards. Remove dead limbs and cut back on excessive growth now to minimize messiness later in the season! Consider hiring a qualified professional to perform any maintenance surrounding power lines, and to remove limbs from tall trees.
- Look to the lawn. Fall is the best time to seed your lawn, because you don’t have to use as much water when the heat isn’t causing as much evaporation.
Once your fall maintenance is complete, you can shift your focus to all the fun fall activities that create lasting memories with your loved ones. Helping families succeed is important to Cirro Energy. That’s why we offer electricity plans to fit your family’s needs and work within your budget. For more information on our low fixed-price electricity plans, visit the Cirro website. Visit us on Facebook and Twitter to connect with the online community.