Is there any more important time for energy saving tips than during a Texas summer? When days reach 100 degrees, and the air conditioner seems to run all day without stopping, you can almost hear the sound of your energy costs rising. Here, from Cirro Energy, are some energy saving tips that give your budget a break, yet don’t require your family to swelter in the Texas heat.
- Plan your day to save energy. In addition to raising the temperature when you’re not at home, make a point to run appliances like your dishwasher, washing machine and dryer at night, when it’s cooler outside. Meal planning, too, can save on energy costs, if you elect to serve some summer fare that doesn’t require you to use the oven.
- Fill your fridge. Did you know that your refrigerator and freezer work more efficiently when they’re full? Even if you don’t currently have the groceries to stock it up, keeping your refrigerator full of bottles of water can make a big difference
- Only use one refrigerator/freezer. Using a second fridge takes twice as much energy, so stick with one if possible. If you need to use a second one for special occasions, like when you have guests, keep it unplugged until a day or two before you need it. When storing a refrigerator, don’t keep it in a space that isn’t air conditioned, because that can damage it and cause it to work inefficiently.
- Use a DVD or Blue Ray player to watch your movies. Using a game console, like an X-Box or PlayStation, can use up to five times more power than a traditional player.
- Be smart about energy efficiency in your home. Clean or replace your air filters every three months, seal cracks around doors and windows, keep your shades drawn when the air conditioner is on and use ceiling fans to circulate cool air. All of these measures, working together, can add up to savings you can see on your monthly energy bill.
- Be mindful of vampires. Unplug electronic equipment when it’s not in use to keep it from leaching energy for no reason. An easy way to do this is to use power strips, which can be easily turned off and back on, switching off a whole group of electronics at once.
Helping you save money on electricity is what Cirro Energy is all about. That’s why we offer energy saving tips and electric plans to fit your family’s needs and work within your budget. For more information on Cirro Energy electric plans, visit cirroenergy.com. To connect with the online community and learn more, visit us on Facebook and Twitter.