Electricity is such an integral part of our lives that we often take it for granted, but electrical safety is something that should never be far from our minds. As we enter the new year, it’s a good time to take stock, review safety practices and make sure we’ve got our homes set up in the safest possible way. Here are some helpful electrical safety reminders from Cirro Energy of things you’ve probably heard before, but may not always consider:
- Take good care of your electrical cords. Never run extension cords across doorways or under carpets, and check cords for damage periodically so that you can replace or repair loose or damaged cords. Don’t use cords for anything other than their intended purpose, and never put a nail or staple through an electrical cord. When unplugging something, always pull on the plug itself instead of the cord.
- Don’t overload your outlets. Only one high-wattage device should be plugged into an outlet at any given time, and extension cords should be seen as a temporary measure, not a permanent solution. If you find yourself relying on extension cords, it’s time to consider hiring an electrician to install additional outlets.
- Give your appliances room to breathe. Electrical appliances should be given room for air to circulate and keep them cool. They should also be kept well away from water to prevent accidents, and any vents or fans should be kept clear of dust. When you’re not using them, consider unplugging appliances and tucking the cords safely away.
- When in doubt, replace it! This goes for any appliance or tool that gives off any level of electric shock and light switches that flicker or are warm to the touch.
- Make sure the whole family is on the same page. Teaching your children about electrical safety is a great way to protect them from harm. Review the basic principles of electricity and rules for staying safe, on a regular basis, so the information is fresh in their minds.
Cirro Energy has deep roots in Texas, and takes pride in being close to the families and communities we serve, providing energy and promoting electrical safety for families across this great state. To connect with other Cirro customers, follow Cirro Energy on Facebook and Twitter, or visit the Cirro Energy website to learn more about how we can help your family find the best utility plan to fit your lifestyle.